Monday, October 1, 2012

October already?

There is a pretty high fever making the rounds. Many of the kids have some coughs and congestion with this. The fever is hanging on for four or five days in some cases.
Please check in with us for any fever lasting 3 days or longer.


I also have quite a few cases of pretty severe wheezing. One of our patients had such a rough time getting clear that she was admitted.
Any time you have a child who is struggling with their breathing I especially want to have them looked at.


We have all sorts of blotchy rashes, Some seem to be bites, others may be part of a virus.
For those of you who have not taken my illness class, Here is a review of Nurse Judy's Rash Rules..

Rashes fall into one of two categories.
Rashes I am worried about vs rashes I am curious about.
I am worried if we have a child who seems ill, if the rash comes along with a high fever, if the rash is purplish and doesn't get lighter when pressed, or if the rash is oozy and crusty.

All of those need an appointment. (A purplish rash that comes with a fever could be a sign of meningitis and needs Urgent attention. These kids will appear very ill.)

All of the other blotchy, spotty rashes out there make us curious.
They could be viral, or bites, or food related, or a new detergent.
Feel free to give us a call or send us a photo, but more often than not we will take the wait and see approach and only see you in the office if things are getting worse, your child is bothered by the rash, or it seems really stuck.

I still do not have any documented cases of influenza yet.
We will be doing another flu shot clinic on October 20th in the morning.

I still have some spots in my solid foods class on Wednesday evening.

Enjoy this warm weather while it lasts

judy


No comments: