Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday update April 22nd/ and request for Photos of your kids!!!

My pile of charts this morning was so high that I could barely peer over it to look at the computer screen.
For all the lovely weather, there are still a ton of sick kids out there.
Last week we actually had a positive FLU test ( strain B...covered by the vaccine)
We had one positive strep throat test today.

The worst illness is the tummy bug. This one has teeth. I think it is likely the Norovirus.
One of my little sweeties was actually popped into the hospital for a day or so due to dehydration. Most folks have been managing at home. Time will fix this. Do your best with the hydration and of course call the office if you are worried. Parents be warned....adults are getting this too.

There are also loads of kids plagued with allergy symptoms. There are lots of runny noses, watery eyes and coughs.
If your child is over a year, go ahead and try treating with the claritin syrup. If you get some symptomatic improvement, you will know that it is likely allergies. If mucous is getting greener and greener, your baby is fussy and there is any fever then I would be looking for another cause.
There are lots of coughing kids. Some of the wheezers are starting to get mildly wheezy.

I have also had tons of odd rashes. Check the rash blog post on the www.nursejudynvp.blogspot.com to see if you need to be concerned.
When the weather is hot I always see an increase in cases of heat rashes and bug bites. ( make sure your windows have screens!!)

I also saw a poor little guy in today with what looked like a horrible case of Hand/ Foot/ Mouth..
 I hope I am wrong, because when that virus comes around it tends to spread pretty easily. If I start seeing more I will update.
There are several kids with very high fevers for a few days. These kids are pretty happy within 30 minutes of the fever meds. This might be roseola. Roseala shows up with several days of fever, kids don't look as ill and one might expect, on day 3 the fever goes away and a rash pops out.


PHOTO REQUEST...
 Our web site is going to get a long overdue facelift. I would love to add photos of your adorable kiddos. (We will probably have a brand new site soon, hopefully with the same address)
Do you have suggestions for things on the website that you would find useful? The current one is pretty awful.
If you want to have your little one on the site send me photos!!! Much appreciated.

Stay well
~Nurse Judy


No comments: