Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday update

The best info that I was able to wring out of the "powers that be" yesterday, is that they are expecting another shipment of the H1N1 vaccine the second week of December. Once they get it, they will attempt to allocate it fairly. ( Does that mean we get a reasonable amount this time? I HOPE so!!)
San Francisco health departments are NOT planning any more vaccine clinic days at this time.
I am getting many calls from parents about the second dose. For those of you lucky enough to have gotten that first dose, I understand that the minimum 3-4 weeks has passed and it is time for the booster.
I spoke to the manufactures as well as the health department to get as much understanding as I could about the timing.
Everyone I spoke to said that while there is indeed a minimum wait time in between the doses there is NO maximum. The first dose primes the body and in some cases gives adequate protection. The second dose boosts this protection and can be given any time within the flu season.
Ideally of course we would offer it in a more timely manner, but don't stress if it is delayed.
It is also fine to mix and match types of vaccine. If your child is over two they can boost with the mist even if the first dose was the injection.

No comments: